Deputy Chief of Party
Title: Deputy Chief of Party – Programs and Teacher Training - both National and International can apply.
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
USAID funded Bar Ama Baro (BAB) project accelerated education programme started in October 2019. This programme is focusing on increasing equitable access to quality education for out of school children aged between 8-15 years through increase student enrollment in accelerated education program (AEP) sites and will also enhance the capacities of education authorities to manage and lead the education sector af Federal and State level in the target regions.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will be integral part of the BAB core leadership team from Creative Associates and Save the Children who are dedicated to ensuring successful delivery of BAB in all project locations. The DCOP will serve as the technical focal person for the BAB Project’s programs and teachers training and is expected to work closely with the the Chief of Party, DCOP for policy, curriculum and government liaison, and with the Reading/Education in Conflict or Crisis Advisor (RECCA) among others
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of seven years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility in managing and implementing complex Education and capacity building programming in fragile states with projects of similar size and scope
- At least five years of proven experience in managing and supervising a technical team and in project design.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors, consortium members and other stakeholders, at national and sub-national levels.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building Ministry of Education and devolved structures capacity in developing and realizing education strategic plans to provide quality Education services
- Demonstrated experience of supervising and mentoring technical staff
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the dynamics in Somalia Education system
- Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Strong management skills, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to create synergies where applicable, interpersonal skills, and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the project description.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (professional level proficiency) and Somali language is mandatory
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Date advertised: 19 Jul 2020
Closing date: 26 Sep 2020 - 21:59 BST
Location: Location, N/A
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time