Humanitarian Media and Communications Manager
Humanitarian Media and Communications Manager
The Humanitarian Media and Communications Manager role will be responsible for producing all key communication assets that enable Save the Children International and its membership to amplify our voice and speak out on behalf of children affected by emergencies. In large category 1 or 2, or complex emergencies with multiple communications deployments, the position will coordinate the work of other deployed positions, including the information and communications coordinator, multimedia producer, visits coordinator; and dotted line coordination of the media manager and advocacy manager. The role will ensure Save the Children’s brand and values are streamlined and reflected across all external communications channels, meeting content needs in all aspects, and establishing a singular ‘voice’ for the response. The deployee will be expected to work with the response team and the country office to produce high quality media products that enables members and the country office to explain and profile Save the Children’s life-saving work in emergencies, for delivery across a range of platforms including online, television broadcast and print outlets.
In most circumstances, the post-holder will also be expected to mentor and/or capacity build existing country programme staff. In this role, the post holder should be able to move projects forward with limited in-country support. Working closely with child safeguarding and child protection colleagues, ensure that all children involved in our communications, advocacy, and media work are protected from potential mental and physical harm, and potential repercussions from their involvement in our communications, advocacy, and media work. This is a higher-level role, aimed at coordinating a diverse communications portfolio, contributing to strategy development, leading special projects including impact reports and anniversaries, and liaising with other iNGOs where necessary.
- Significant experience of working overseas in humanitarian programmes.
- Solid knowledge and use of media and multimedia platforms.
- Photography and video production, including post-production platforms (Adobe creative suite).
- Experience of leading communication activities (including information management) in a challenging environment.
- Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the ‘general public’.
- Ability to spokesperson for Save the Children in emergencies at high level, across a range of media.
- Proven understanding of international media handling, pitching and media management.
- Experience delivering communications assets across multiple channels, including print, social, and digital.
- Experience of effective spokesperson across a range of media.
- Excellent understanding of international audiences and their varying visual communication needs.
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work for limited periods within programmes under pressure of running emergency responses.
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support.
- Ability to deliver high-quality photographs and case studies from affected communities.
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and other capacity building activities to varied audiences, ideally within a country programme.
- Excellent understanding of Member communication and information needs across fundraising, media and campaigning activities.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children.
Experience working sensitively with vulnerable groups.
- Experience of writing effective proposals in emergency responses.
- Language skills in one or more of Save the Children’s working languages: French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic; or others where relevant.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
- Knowledge of key international and child development issues and debates.
- Familiarity with SharePoint and/or HTML, and editing software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of one other working language.
Contract duration: 5 months
Location: Juba, with frequent travel to the field
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Date advertised: 30 Mar 2021
Closing date: 13 Apr 2021 - 21:59 BST
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Department: Communications and Media
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time